Milestones Ranch Malibu is the premier residential treatment facility for dual diagnosis patients. The term dual diagnosis refers to a person who has been concurrently diagnosed with both a mental disorder and a Substance-Related Disorder. In order to best serve the unique needs of each dual diagnosis client, the following services are provided upon admission: clinical assessment, physical and psychiatric evaluations and individual treatment planning. These services include:
- Initial biopsychosocial assessment with our admissions coordinator.
- Full assessment and psychiatric evaluation with our addiction psychiatrist.
- Full history and physical with our internal medicine physician.
- Treatment planning and ongoing assessment with the multi-disciplinary team.
- Aftercare and discharge planning with emphasis on linking the client to adjunctive and collateral services to aid in relapse prevention.
Program tracks may include: residential treatment, extended care, intensive outpatient programming, and alumni services.
Mental Conditions Treated as Dual Diagnosis
- Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Acute Stress Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders: Panic Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Specific Phobia
- Bipolar and Related Disorders: Bipolar Disorders I & II, Cyclothymic Disorder
- Depressive Disorders: Major Depressive Disorder, Persistent Depressive Disorder
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders: AD/HD, Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Sexual Compulsivity
- Pain Management
Individual, family, and couples’ therapy are provided at least five times per week with therapist’s specializing in each client’s particular issues. Depending on a client’s unique needs, daily group therapy may include primary process group, Cognitive Behavioral therapy, Popping PatternsÔ neurocognitive education, relapse prevention, boundary setting, etiology of addiction, communication skills, grief and loss, anger management, codependency, Dialectical Behavior therapy, and much more.
The MILESTONES method also includes experiential groups such as skill building through role play, art and music therapy, fitness, and somatic experiencing.
Other Forums for Finding Solutions at MILESTONES
- Shame and Guilt
- Family System Dynamics
- Coping Skills
- Symptom Management
- Medication Management
- Stages of Change
- Motivational Interviewing
- Skill-building through Role-play
A staff member conducts Community Meeting each week. This is a forum for clients to voice any concerns or needs related to treatment in our group residential setting. This forum also serves to promote client self-efficacy. During community meeting, we discuss the specifics of residential treatment protocol and any client concerns about program policies and procedures.
Aftercare at Milestones
At Milestones Ranch Malibu we take great care and consideration when developing our Aftercare Plans. Before and during the process of transitioning out of Milestones Ranch Malibu, our alumni coordinator – as well as primary therapists – make plans and take action to help patients reintegrate. Upon discharge we ensure that relevant collateral and adjunctive recommendations are in place, which give clients the best chance for durable change and sustainable recovery.
Milestones offers relapse prevention education and aftercare plans that may include: consistent follow-up with treatment team-members, weekly alumni support meetings and internet-based communications. Clients can also be transitioned to other levels of care such as: day treatment, intensive outpatient programs, sober living and individual and family therapy.
We arrange and accompany clients on tours of sober living and transitional living programs within the surrounding area. We also maintain contact with our clients to ensure the transition to aftercare goes smoothly and that clients continue to feel connected to our alumni support program. Our belief is that involvement with solid aftercare programming is the most important aspect of recovery. This is critical for successful outcomes and ongoing transformation. Please see our Aftercare section for further information.